Page 5 Reflection 2

My vision for working with children is to help them be the best they can be and achieve their goals.

There is nothing more gratifying than to see a child work towards something that they really want and watch them get it. Persistence and motivation are the gifts that children have to reach their goals. I like to encourage children to try, and not give up because they are totally capable. Guidance, support and encouragement are always in my practice.

In three years, I see my greatest strengths with children to be more observant of each individual child’s strengths, weaknesses and needs to better assist them.

I feel that with all that I have learned in my ECCE program in the las 18 months, I am going to be able to identify things in children’s development a lot easier than I have in the past. I am grateful for the knowledge that I have gained to better assist the children in my care. I also see myself running a couple of infant toddler and group centers in the Comox Valley. In three years, I should be finalizing my ECCE Diploma program.

I envision the early learning environment as a broad way to invite children to explore and learn.

The early leaning environment, has many ways we as educators can present it to the children to enhance their learning. We can offer activities such as being out in nature, science, exploring their own community, cooking and baking…etc. A positive, healthy and supportive learning environment is key to a child’s overall success.

I see children as our future world leaders.

Every leader that we know and read about, were once children. They all had to learn to crawl, walk and talk like the rest of us. Children have the potential to become world leaders and we as parents and educators, have the tools to help these children start building their foundation of who they want to become.

“Educators can reflect on practices that enrich and deepen children’s relationships with place, land, and community. Children, with their boundless imaginations and sense of adventure, will be the leaders and innovators who will both inherit and re-create our societies in the future”

Early Learning Framework, [p. 21].

I view children’s families to be the number one support for the child, and an important source to the day care providers as they can give us first hand information on their child.

Families are a very important part of the child’s life, as well as a good guide to the educator. Leaning about the child through his/her parents, gives us educators an understanding of how best to help and support the child. Maintaining open communication with families is essential for everyone.

“We can maximize a child’s learning opportunities when we work closely with families, sharing our insights and collaborating together”. Lynn Wilson, 6th Edition, [p. 63].

I suspect that cultural diversity will continue to grow and be more accepted as the years go by.

I feel that whether we live in a multicultural country or not, cultural diversity should be not only accepted, but respected as well. As educators, we are going to have families that come from other parts of the world, and we are here to welcome and support them as individuals.

“Teachers must remember that difference does not mean deficit and that we have a responsibility to bring compassion and understanding to our relationships in the spirit of openness and acceptance”.

Lynn Wilson, 6th Edition, [p. 67].

I envision my colleagues as business partners and supporters.

I envision my colleagues as business partners because even though we are not working in the same center, we are in the business of childcare. Which makes us business partners in an indirect way.

I see us educators as being support to each other. I have reached out to many educators for help and have always had a positive response from everyone. I have also had educators call on me for advice and support. It is great to know that we can count on each other for physical, moral and emotional support.